Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Involution

This Immovable Object reluctantly engaging an Irresistible Force showed up in my mind on April 3rd. Yet another horse. When I saw the oval object at level with the horse's heart, I didn't know what I was looking at.  A ruby? No - a chrysalis.  
 
As I looked for images appropriate to the unfolding of this new assignment, I came upon a photograph of a chrysalis (yep, the right shape) with the forming butterfly wing already visible through the thinning cocoon. The red pattern of the wing struck a personal cord - it is very close to the 4 branched Shin, the letter  I use as a signature somewhere within each copperwork as a symbol of an emerging reality with feminine implications.

I completed the actual copper etching June 28th. It was then that I heard the name I was to associate with this work. INVOLUTION.  Interesting.  I thought it might mean something like "inner evolution" but I found it actual has a very specific meaning within the context of mathematics:
 
a function, transformation or operator that is equal to its inverse, i.e., which give the identity when applied to itself.

I can't imagine a more perfect definition to what I think I'm seeing here.

What thoughts do you have about this imagery?



1 comment:

  1. As always, your words describing your process and intentions are as inspiring as the beauty of your image.
    Anne Barber-Shams

    ReplyDelete