Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Light is Planted at the Garden Gate

Write (these words that connect you with Me this day)...upon your gates.  DEVARIM 6:9

My great joy this year is to have a garden gate.  I created this illumination for the gate lintel as an emblem of my life as a devout gardener and keeper of the earth-connected legacy of my peoples.  The Hebrew words from TEHILIM just above the center horizontal axis are Or Zaruah - Light is Planted - pretty basic for a heart-based, earthy relationship to things Divine.

At the root are the Arabic words from the HADITH
Al jannatu tahta akdam il uma'at - Paradise (from the word for "Garden" - think Gan in Hebrew) lies under the feet of the Mothers. My Semitic cousins' expression in resonance with planted light, adding to nature the powerful Mothering Feminine Elements of nurture, watchfulness and protection.
  
Within the branches of  the stained glass tree is the 4-flamed Shin,a letter with known sound and no known number, named simply HaOt - the letter.  It is the letter of the world of transformative possibilities, the space behind the burning bush.  It is the sign I use in place of a signature on the copper illuminations I produce.

I would love to hear about the words that you would write upon your garden gate.

Harvest Moon Blessings and Happy Succot!

jewish art
runes art

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! So beautiful!
    I cannot wait to see it in person...
    Way to Go on the website Shahna!! It looks good!
    Wish I could make it to the workshop...
    T

    ReplyDelete